University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
University of Michigan, B.A., with honors
- Florida Bar
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
Richard I. Segal is a founding partner of RFB + Fisher Potter Hodas and serves as the co-managing partner of the Miami office. Prior to co-founding the firm, Richard practiced for five years at a litigation firm, Segal Zuckerman in Miami, which focused on family law and business litigation in state and federal courts throughout Florida and nationwide and for another ten years as a partner at a well-known litigation firm in South Florida. Richard focuses his practice on assisting clients in a range of high-end dissolutions of marriage, matrimonial disputes, and business and corporate litigation matters.
Richard’s philosophy centers around aggressive tactics and innovative legal theories aimed at reaching a quick, favorable result for his clients. Richard’s objective is to always provide clients the individual attention they deserve, then following through by providing the devotion and detail required for each case.
Richard was featured on the front cover of the Daily Business Review as the youngest partner in South Florida highlighting milestone victories achieved at trial. The Daily Business Review selected Richard as one of forty Rising Stars in the legal community stating that Richard “cemented his reputation as a hard-nosed litigator.” Richard won the Daily Business Review’s Most Effective Lawyers in Complex Business Litigation for going toe to toe at trial with then President-Elect Donald J. Trump. Richard brings his business litigation mindset to tackle the highest end of complex dissolutions of marriage making sure that each client and each case receives meticulous and tailored forethought.
As a third generation Miami Beach native, Richard grew up in a family that is deeply ensconced in the local community. Philanthropy has always been a part of who he is. Richard is very involved in the Miami Beach community. Richard currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce. Richard was also appointed by the city commissioners of Miami Beach and Mayor to the legal position on the Board of Adjustment (“BOA”), a seven-year tenured position, in which Richard decided “hardship” cases for local business and residential owners regarding permitting issues and variances. Richard’s fellow BOA board members elected Richard to serve as the Chair of the BOA, to which capacity Richard held for two years in which he was responsible for conducting all BOA monthly meetings for the City of Miami Beach.
As a proud University of Michigan alum, Richard is a diehard University of Michigan football fanatic. GO BLUE!
- Chairman of the Board of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Appointed by Mayor and the Miami Beach Commissioners to the City of Miami Beach Board of Adjustment – Legal Position
- Chair of the Miami Beach Board of Adjustment
- Board Member of the Executive Board of Governors of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member of the Board of Governors of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce Law Council
- Young President of Mount Sinai Medical Center Foundation
Awards & Recognitions
- South Florida Business & Wealth’s Excellence in Rising Leadership Award: 2023
- Super Lawyer, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine: 2021, 2022
- South Florida Business & Wealth’s Legal Award: 2022
- Most Effective Lawyer, Complex Business Litigation, Daily Business Review: 2015
- 40 Under 40, Daily Business Review: 2015
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine: 2012-2018
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine: 2013
- Up and Comer Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine: 2011-2012